If you ever have a chance to go to a livestock exposition in South America, do it! It's unlikely the first thing you'd think of when you plan a cultural outing in Buenos Aires. There are two noteworthy things I learned today after a mind stimulating observation of the turkeys and cows.
First, a turkey has a flap of skin above its beak called a snood. I will list all the fascinating facts I learned about a turkey snood:
- It is a fleshy appendage that can stretch to twice its ordinary le
ngth during courtship (up to 6 inches) - Females prefer long snoods
- Snood length may be in part determined by the testosterone level and is a good predictor of victory in a fight
- The snood becomes erect when a sudden rush of blood to the area causes it to swell up - I saw it happen!
After watching my first "snoodal" erection, I began to wonder if turkeys aren't so different from humans. And we thought we had evolved a little more than that...
Observing the cows compelled me do a little research. Guess what I found out? Argentine scientists are studying global warming by strapping packs to cows' backs to collect their farts and burps. Apparently, through their slow digestive systems, cows produce quite a bit of methane, a greenhouse gas. Methane is 23 times stronger than carbon dioxide in trapping heat in the atmosphere. Researchers estimate that 30% of Argentina's total greenhouse emissions could be generated by cows.
I love being a biology major in Argentina!
Haha, snoods made me laugh!
ReplyDelete